On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Brooklyn
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Harlem and Connecticut
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- makes 12
Donal Skehan’s ginger crumb muffins are spiced with cinnamon and ginger and topped with crumbled gingernut biscuits
Method1. For the muffins:Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 5 and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. In a jug, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, orange zest and set aside. In a standalone mixer or with an electric whisk, beat the eggs with the sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the butter mixture and whisk until combined.
3. Gently fold in the flour and spices until just combined. Be sure not to over mix the batter.Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and place in the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden on top. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
4. For the ginger crumb topping: Place the melted butter and biscuit crumbs in separate bowls. When the muffins are cool, dip half the muffin tops in the butter and then press into the gingernut crumbs. Then repeat with the remaining muffins in the chocolate gingernut crumbs.
Want to see more? Take a look at our favourite muffin recipes.
For the muffins:
- 100 g butter, melted
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the ginger crumb topping:
- 75 g gingernut biscuits, crumbled
- 75 g chocolate gingernut biscuits, crumbled
- 50 g butter, melted