On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Aberdeenshire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Staffordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Argyll and Bute
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus soaking time
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Spinach curry is made with lentils, coconut cream, turmeric, garlic, onion, chilli and curry leaves
Method1. Drain the soaked dhal, then rinse and drain again. Put the dhal, 500 ml water and the turmeric in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the dhal is cooked and the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large wok over medium heat, and add the spinach and salty water. Add the garlic paste, onion, chillies, rampe and curry leaves, cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
3. Stir in the dhal and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the coconut cream and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly so the coconut cream does not split. Taste and season with salt if needed.
Want to see more? Take a look at our vegetarian curry recipes.
- 150 g chana dal, also known as yellow dried split peas, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 250 g spinach leaves, cut the stems into 2cm pieces and tear the leaves into smaller pieces
- 1 tsp salt, disolved in 60ml water
- 2 garlic cloves, ground into a paste
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2-3 thin green chillies, cut in half on the diagonal
- 12 cm pandanus leaf (rampe), cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 sprig curry leaves, leaves picked
- 250 ml coconut cream
Tips and suggestions
- This spinach curry is great served with roti, naan bread, rice or chapati.