On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Spicy Sichuan
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Cooking for Friends and Family
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 10 min
Rachel Allen’s lasagne is made with minced beef or pork, onion, garlic, celery and leek in a rich tomato sauce layered with pasta and a creamy cheese sauce
Method1. For the ragu: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place a large casserole dish or saucepan on a medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, tip in the onion, garlic, celery and leek. Season with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, for 8–10 minutes, stirring every so often, until the vegetables have softened.
2. Turn the heat up to high, add the meat and stir to break up the mince, cooking until no traces of pink remain. Add the bay leaf with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, wine and sugar, and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour, uncovered and stir regularly. When cooked, the sauce will have thickened and the tomatoes softened completely. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
4. For the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat, then whisk in the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Gradually pour in the milk and bring to the boil, whisking continuously until the sauce has thickened.
5. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese and mustard, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside.
6. To assemble the lasagne: Place a thin layer of ragu in the bottom of a 20x30cm ovenproof dish, cover with a layer of the cheese sauce, then add lasagne sheets to cover the sauce, in a single layer. Repeat this process, finishing with a layer of pasta topped with cheese sauce only.
7. Sprinkle over both cheeses, then bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling hot. Serve with a green salad if you wish.
Want to see an alternative recipe? Take a look at our top 10 lasagne recipes including a salmon and watercress and roasted vegetable lasagne.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and crushed, or finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or finely grated
- 3 sticks of celery, trimmed and finely diced
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely diced
- 1 kg minced beef or pork, or 500g minced beef and 500g minced pork
- 1 bay leaf
- 2x400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml white or red wine
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
For the cheese sauce
To assemble the lasagne