On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Wyoming
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 11
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Rachel Allen’s butterscotch apple pudding is a comfort food dessert made with cooking apples and a rich butterscotch sauce topping
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/gas 4. Place the apple pieces in the bottom of a 20x30cm ovenproof dish, spreading them out to form an even layer.
2. Sift the flour and ¼ teaspoon salt into a large bowl and mix in half the sugar. In another bowl, mix together the melted butter, vanilla extract, egg and milk.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones, then whisk briefly to bring everything together. Pour the mixture into the ovenproof dish, distributing it evenly over the apples.
4. Next, place the golden syrup in a saucepan with 150ml boiling water and remaining sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then pour this over the mixture in the dish, spreading it in an even layer.
5. To finish, sprinkle over the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, then place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top of the pudding has a very light spring when you press it with your finger. This is best served warm with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Feeling in the mood for more sweet comforting puds? You’ll love our winter desserts.