On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 1
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Valentine Warner's mackerel burger on rye bread is topped with Jarlsberg cheese and homemade tartare sauce
Method1. Finely chop the mackerel fillet, then shape into a burger shape with your hands approximately 2.5cm thick.
2. In a small bowl, add the red onion, gherkin, dill, chives, mayonnaise, and mustard and season with black pepper and combine.
3. In a small frying pan over a medium heat, add the oil and then fry the burger and season with a little black pepper. When frying the burger make sure you move it around the pan a little to stop it from sticking. Flip the burger over and cook until the edges of the burger are crispy and golden brown.
4. While the burger is still in the pan, place the slices of cheese on top and cook until the cheese is melting.
5. Place the bottom half of the burger on a plater, then the burger, the cucumber slices, a generous dollop of the tartare sauce and the the tomato slices. Top with the top of the burger bun.
Bit of a burger fan? Check out our top 10 burger recipes for more ideas.
- 2 mackerel fillets, skinned, boned and finely chopped
- ½ red onions, finely chopped
- 1 gherkin, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 4 chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp hot mustard
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 slices Jarlsberg cheese, or similar
- 2 slices light rye bread, roll/burger bun
- 2 slices cucumber
- 2 slices tomatoes