On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Takeaways
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Ancient Greece
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Nigel Slater adds almonds to the crumble for a sweet flavour to play off the tart gooseberries
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/gas 4. Line the base of a 22cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
2. For the filling: Beat the butter, caster and muscovado sugar in a food mixer for a good eight to 10 minutes until pale and fluffy.
3. Break the eggs, beat them gently with a fork – just to mix the yolks and whites together and then gradually introduce them to the mixture with an electric beater on slow or by hand.
4. Fold in the ground almonds and flour then add the vanilla extract. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and smooth it flat. Scatter the gooseberries on top.
5. For the crumble topping: Blitz the flour and butter to crumbs in a food processor. Add the sugar and mix lightly. Remove the mixing bowl and add a few drops of water. Shake the bowl a little – or run a fork through the mixture – so that some of the crumbs stick together like small pebbles. This will give a more interesting mix of textures. Scatter this loosely over the gooseberries.
6. Bake for about an hour, checking if it’s done with a skewer. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside. Leave to cool before cutting.
Like this? Take a look at lots more of our crumble recipes