On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Family
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- Prep time:
- 1 hr
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- makes 12 teddy bears
Teddy bear cupcakes are great for children’s birthdays or celebrations they are also easy to get the kids involved with the decorating too
Method1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 180C /160C fan/gas mark 4. Tip the cocoa into a small, heatproof bowl, add 100ml boiling water and whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy – about 3 minutes in a stand mixer or with an electric whisk. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well and scraping down the side of the bowl between each addition. Add the vanilla and cocoa mixture and mix again.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ½ teaspoon of salt into the bowl, add the sour cream and fold in using a rubber spatula or large metal spoon. Once the mixture is smooth, divide it evenly between the paper cases and bake in a muffin tin on the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
4. Allow the cakes to rest in the tin for 3–4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
5. For the buttercream: Put the sugar and egg whites in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk slowly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is foamy. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture has doubled in volume, looks glossy and opaque, and reaches at least 60C on a sugar thermometer.
6. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use an electric whisk and mixing bowl. Beat until the mixture has double in volume, cooled and will stand in stiff, glossy peaks – this will take about 3 minutes.
7. Gradually add the butter to the cooled meringue mix, beating constantly, until the frosting is smooth, fold in the vanilla and melted chocolate.
8. For the decorations:Using a small palette knife, cover the top of each cooled cupcake with chocolate meringue buttercream and scatter an even layer of chocolate sprinkles or grated chocolate over the top to resemble fur.
9. Lay the giant chocolate buttons on the work surface and dab the top of each with a dot of buttercream. Lay the white buttons on top and press together. Position 2 pairs of buttons at the top of each cupcake for ears.
10. Lay the regular milk chocolate buttons on the work surface, dab the underside of 12 of the Smarties with buttercream and press one onto each of the chocolate buttons. Dab a little more buttercream on the underside of each button and position as a nose on the cupcakes.
11. Position the remaining Smarties as eyes and use the writing icing, or melted chocolate, to draw a mouth. Your teddies are now ready to serve.
If you love these, you'll love our birthday cake recipes
For the cupcakes:
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 150 g butter, soft and cubed
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp soured cream
For the buttercream:
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, whites only
- 250 g butter, soft and cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g dark chocolate
For the decorations:
- chocolate sprinkles or finely grated chocolate, to decorate
- 24 giant milk chocolate buttons
- 24 white chocolate buttons
- 12 regular milk chocolate buttons
- 36 brown Smarties chocolate
- 1 tube of chocolate writing icing or 50g dark chocolate, melted
Tips and suggestions
- To cheat with this recipe you could buy ready-made cupcakes and butter cream.
Everything you need to make these cute teddy bears can be found in the baking or confectionery aisle of the supermarket.
Kids love them and they’ll get particularly excited if you let them stick the decorations on at the end to make the teddy bears’ faces.