On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 1
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus chilling time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Gizzi Erskine’s pork and chorizo meatballs are served with spaghetti and make a great warming dish, perfect for dinner parties
Method1. For the meatballs: Place the pork, chorizo, onion, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together with your hands (the chorizo takes a bit of work as it’s much firmer than the pork mince). Divide into 12 balls. Pop them on a baking tray, cover with clingfilm and set aside to chill in the fridge.
2. For the sauce: Bash the chilli, fennel and garlic together in a pestle and mortar until they break down. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a pan, then add the onions and cook slowly for 8–10 minutes, or until the onions have softened and started to go golden. Add in the crushed garlic, chilli and fennel seeds and fry for 2 minutes. Tip in the tomatoes, add the vinegar and sugar and simmer very gently, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
3. Spritz a non-stick frying pan with the rest of the olive oil, then add the meatballs and fry gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, turning them over once. You may need to do this in batches if your pan is not very big. Drain off any excess fat, pour in the sauce and cook for a further 15 minutes, then stir through the basil.
4. Meanwhile, bring a big saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 7 minutes, or until al dente. Stir the sauce and meatballs through the pasta and divide equally among bowls.
Recipe from Great British Spelt Recipes in association with Bowel Cancer UK.
Want more? We've got lots more delicious meatball recipes.
For the meatballs:
- 200 g lean minced pork
- 150 g fresh chorizo sausages, the meat extracted from the skin and finely chopped
- 1 small onion
- a few sprigs of oregano, leaves removed
For the sauce: