On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 2)
- 20:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 3)
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 25 minutes soaking time
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Donal Skehan recreates his mum’s recipe for bread and butter pudding with a new addition of apple slices to make a perfect autumnal dessert
Method1. Grease a 20x12cm ovenproof baking dish with a little butter. Butter each slice of bread on one side and spread with a little marmalade. Make into sandwiches and cut into quarters on the diagonal.
2. Arrange the sandwich quarters upright in the dish, with their longest side down and the opposite corner pointing upwards. Tuck the apple slices in between them. Mix half of the sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and sprinkle this mixture over the apple and bread as you arrange the slices.
3. In a large jug, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Pour this mixture over the bread and apple slices and press the slices gently with your fingertips so that the bread soaks up the liquid.
4. Sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar, cover with cling film and set aside for 25 minutes or so until the bread has soaked up a lot of the liquid.
5. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas mark 3. Bake the pudding in the oven for approximately 50–55 minutes until the top has puffed up and turned a nice golden colour. Allow to cool slightly before serving with a little pouring cream.
Want something lighter? You’ll love our healthy desserts.