On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min, plus cooling time
- makes 6 eggs
Spicy scotch eggs are a vegetarian Indian twist on the British classic, great at picnics or served as party food snacks
Method1. Drop the eggs in boiling salted water and cook for 6 minutes, remove from hob, drain, and chill using cold water.
2. Heat the ghee in a thick-bottomed deep wok. When hot, add the onion seeds, fennel, cumin and the bay leaf. When they begin to crackle, add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the carrot, cauliflower and French beans and sauté on a medium heat for 4 minutes. Then add the red chilli powder, coriander seeds, cardamom seeds and the ground cumin and stir for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the raisins and diced beetroot and cook further for a minute. Add half a teaspoon of salt and the sugar and stir well, then add in the grated potatoes and cook well till the mixture is evenly mixed and the colour turns reddish and the mixture becomes shiny due to the ghee. This should take 3-4 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. When cold, divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and roll it around the boiled eggs, dip the balls in the egg batter and roll it into the dried bread crumbs and cool in the refrigerator.
5. Put a pan over a medium heat and pour in the oil until it is about two-thirds full. Heat to approximately 180C, when you add a small piece of bread it will bubble and be a golden brown colour within a minute. Carefully drop in the scotch eggs and fry them for 10 minutes, turning every few minutes to make sure they are evenly fried. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper before serving.
Recipe from Cinnamon Soho .
Love Indian cuisine? See lots more Indian recipes here.
- 6 eggs
- 25 g ghee
- 1/4 tsp black onion seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/8 of a medium cauliflower, finely chopped
- 50 g French beans, finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder
- 2 cardamom pods, ground in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 beetroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 g raisins
- ½ sugar
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- 1 litres vegetable oil, for frying
Tips and suggestions
- You can also use a deep fat fryer to cook the scotch eggs