On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Restaurant Revelations
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Parsnip cake with orange frosting is a light and fluffy teatime treat, your friends will never guess the secret sweet ingredient!
Method1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 180C/160C/gas mark 4. Grease a 23cm round cake tin or springform tin and line the base with baking parchment. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice into a mixing bowl then stir in the almonds, sugar, bran flakes, grated parsnips, orange rind and raisins. Mix well.
2. Beat together the eggs, oil and milk and mix together with all of the dry ingredients, if the mixture is too stiff add more milk, it should be of a soft dropping consistency. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until just firm to touch.
3. If the cake appears to be browning too quickly turn the oven down and cover with a little greaseproof paper. When cooked, turn out and cool on a wire rack.
4. For the frosting: Beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange and when the cake has cooled, spread the frosting with some of the grated orange rind over the top and serve.
See more vegetable cakes.
Recipe from Rachel Green for Sharpham Park.
- 175 g white spelt flour, such as Sharpham Park
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50 g ground almonds
- 150 g muscovado sugar
- 75 g bran flakes, finely crushed, such as Sharpham Park,
- 225 g parsnips, grated
- 1 orange, grated rind only
- 30 g raisins
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp milk
Tips and suggestions
- These can also be made individually in a large muffin tin, using 12 muffin cases. Adjust the cooking time to approximately 15 – 20 minutes.