On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fruit
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Breakfast
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus chilling and resting time
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Caramelised banana pancakes come served with vanilla mascarpone, it makes for a decadent dessert or great weekend breakfast
Method1. For the cream: Infuse the mascarpone with the vanilla pod seeds and allow to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. For the pancakes: Meanwhile, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre of the flour and add the eggs. Mix the flour and egg making sure that any bits of flour from around the edge of the bowl is incorporated then gradually add the milk, a little a time, using a whisk. Continue whisking until the batter is like a smooth cream. Allow the pancake mix to rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan then spoon 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into the pancake mixture. Pour any leftover butter into a dish. (This will be used later to grease the frying pan after each pancake has been made.)
4. Make sure the non-stick frying pan is really hot before adding 2 tablespoons of the batter mixture to the pan. As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip the pan around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter and fry for a few minutes or until golden.
5. Flip the pancake over to cook the other side and then slide it out of the pan onto a plate. Stack the pancakes as you make them between sheets of greaseproof paper.
6. For the bananas: Put the butter into a heavy bottom pan and allow it to melt. Add the sugar and cook until the mix is caramelised to a light brown colour. Add the thickly slice banana and mix it together until everything is well mixed, add the lime zests and rum thenremove the pan from the stove.
7. To serve, place a pancake on to a plate, followed by the banana mixture and another pancake. Finish with the vanilla mascarpone.
Recipe from Andrew Freeman, Executive Sous Chef at Jumeirah Carlton Tower.