On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Apple and cinnamon tray bake is a simple cake that is delicious as a lunchbox treat or served hot with custard
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Butter and line a rectangular baking tin (approximately 27cm x 20cm) with baking paper.
2. Place the butter, caster sugar and dark brown soft sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Finally add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and beat briefly to combine.
3. Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange half the apples over the top of the mixture, and then repeat the process. Before baking, sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out of tin and remove paper. Cut into bars or squares before serving.
Recipe from Whitworths Sugar.
- 250 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar, we recommend Whitworths
- 100 g dark brown sugar, we recommend Whitworths
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 500 g bramley apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 25 g crunchy demerara sugar, we recommend Whitworths
Tips and suggestions
- If you are preparing the apples in advance, sprinkle with a little lemon juice to stop them going brown.