Apple and cinnamon tray bake
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Apple and cinnamon tray bake is a simple cake that is delicious as a lunchbox treat or served hot with custard
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- If you are preparing the apples in advance, sprinkle with a little lemon juice to stop them going brown.
- 250 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar, we recommend Whitworths
- 100 g dark brown sugar, we recommend Whitworths
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 500 g bramley apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 25 g crunchy demerara sugar, we recommend Whitworths
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Butter and line a rectangular baking tin (approximately 27cm x 20cm) with baking paper.
2. Place the butter, caster sugar and dark brown soft sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Finally add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and beat briefly to combine.
3. Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange half the apples over the top of the mixture, and then repeat the process. Before baking, sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out of tin and remove paper. Cut into bars or squares before serving.
Recipe from Whitworths Sugar.