On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 5 hrs
Slow cooker beef bourguignon has all the great flavours from the classic but is simple to make with great results everytime
Method1. Preheat the slow cooker to low. In a large frying pan, add the streaky bacon and cook until slightly crispy then place in the cooker. Toss the beef in the flour. Heat the oil in the frying pan, and cook the floured beef in small batches to colour slightly, add to cooker.
2. Lightly colour the shallots and carrots in the frying pan then add to the cooker along with the mushrooms. Mix together 400ml boiling water with the stock cube, red wine, tomato puree, garlic, thyme and bay leaves and pour over the meat.
3. Season well with salt and pepper and place the lid on to cook for 5-6 hours or until the beef is tender. If you need to thicken the sauce slightly, mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste then add to the dish and stir through. Heat on high for a few minutes to thicken.
4. Serve the beef with mashed potatoes, green beans and the rich sauce poured over the top.
Recipe from Crock Pot, the original slow cooker.
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 750 g stewing steak, diced in to large chunks
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 shallots
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 225 g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cube of beef stock
- 300 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cornflour, optional
- mashed potato, to serve
- green beans, to serve