On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
- makes 100 kisses
Meringue kisses are so pretty yet simple to make, they make a great gift or look lovely displayed in candy jars
Method1. Preheat the oven to 80C/60C fan/gas mark ¼. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt into the bowl of an electric mixer and start whisking at high speed. Make sure that the bowl is entirely grease-free before you start, otherwise the egg whites will not whip up properly. As the egg whites are stiffening, slowly sprinkle the caster sugar into the mix. Stop whisking as the meringue becomes stiffer and glossy; be careful not to overwhisk the mixture.
3. Add the vanilla extract and slowly fold the icing sugar into the meringue mixture using a rubber spatula. Separate the meringue mix into three equal parts; keep the first white, mix the second with pink liquid food colour to a pastel pink shade and the third with blue and yellow liquid food colour for a pastel aqua shade.
4. Place a star nozzle in to three piping bags then fill each one with a different coloured meringue mixture. Pipe little rosettes onto the baking trays lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Place the meringues in the preheated oven for between 2–3 hours or until they have fully dried out.
Photograph by Georgia Glynn Smith