On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 20:30 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 21:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 min
James Martin's chicken recipe with peppers, chorizo and chillies make a simple one pot meal that's packed with Spanish flavours
Method1. For the chicken: Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Place the peppers and chorizo in a large casserole dish or roasting tin and put the chicken on top. Pour the wine over it, then drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 1 hour then remove the foil or lid and cook for a further 30 minutes.
3. For the sauce: Place all the sauce ingredients into a bowl, mix well, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the sauce over the chicken while it’s in the pot and take to the table to serve.
Recipe from Slow Cooking by James Martin, published by Quadrille. Photo © Tara Fisher.
For the chicken
- 4 red peppers, deseeded and cut lengthways into eight strips
- 350 g cooking chorizo, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 chicken, approximately 1.5kg, giblets removed
- 400 ml white wine
- 40 ml olive oil
For the sauce
- 2 or 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
Tips and suggestions
- 'Picante' cooking chorizo is the best type to look for, as it's full of flavour and spice