On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 4
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 20 min
Guinness and beef stew is a easy slow-cooked recipe that’s great for a dinner party in the winter, just serve with lots of roast potatoes
Method1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/ gas mark 3. Put the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. When the butter has melted add the bacon, followed by the shallots. Cook until golden brown and transfer to a large casserole.
2. Add the beef to the frying pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned all over. Transfer to the casserole. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste and transfer to the casserole dish.
3. Return the frying pan to the heat and use a whisk to scrape off all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan (this is where the flavour is). Pour in the Guinness and continue to whisk for another minute to deglaze the pan. Pour the Guinness and pan juices over the beef and vegetables in the casserole. Add the bouquet garni, cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
4. When the beef is tender, check the seasoning, remove the bouquet garni and serve with roast potatoes.