Gingerbread latte cupcakes
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 45 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- makes 12 cupcakes
Gingerbread latte cupcakes, from Lola's, are a great festive treat but good to eat all year round too
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- To make the espresso cinnamon paste mix the ground espresso and cinnamon with ½ teaspoon of hot water.
For the cupcakes:
- 120 g golden syrup
- 120 g black treacle
- 200 ml double cream
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground espresso beans, or instant coffee
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 135 g butter, cubed and soft
- 125 g dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
For the coffee cinnamon buttercream:
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat Oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the golden syrup, treacle and double cream in a saucepan and heat gently until just melted. Don’t allow to come to a boil.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, ground espresso beans, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and a ¼ teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until pale and fluffy. Stop occasionally to scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after every addition. Gently fold in a third of the sifted dry ingredients (prevents curdling!) Now add the syrup mixture and remaining dry ingredients and beat until well mixed.
3. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
4. For the coffee cinammon buttercream: While the cupcakes are cooling down, put the butter in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until very soft and smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Sift half the icing sugar and half the cocoa powder into the bowl, beating until incorporated. Add the second half of the sugar and beat on low speed. Slowly pour in the milk and when it is mixed in, beat for 3-5 minutes on a higher speed. Add the espresso-cinnamon paste and beat in.
5. Spread the frosting over the cold cupcakes using a spatula, or spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle tip and pipe it on top of the cupcakes. Top with gingerbread men sprinkles.