On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
James Martin’s bourbon croissant butter pudding is so indulgent that it’s been a favourite on his restaurant menus for over 20 years
Method1. Preheat the oven 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Warm the milk and cream with the seeds from the vanilla pod. Remove from the heat and stir in the white chocolate to melt it.
2. Cut the croissants into slices and layer in a circular 25cm ovenproof dish.
3. Soak the sultanas in bourbon until they start to puff up.
4. Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks and beat in the caster sugar, add the warmed chocolate custard cream to the eggs then add the bourbon.
5. Drizzle melted butter over the croissants and pour half the cream custard mixture over the top of the croissants. Sprinkle on the sultanas. Press the pudding down with your fingers so that the custard mixture is absorbed into the pudding. Top off with the rest of the custard mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Dust with icing sugar and blow torch or quickly grill until crispy. Serve with ice cream and cream.
- 500 ml milk
- 500 ml double cream, plus extra to serve
- 2 vanilla pods, de-seeded
- 300 g white chocolate, broken into chunks
- 8 large croissants
- 25 g sultanas
- 3 tbsp bourbon whiskey, plus extra for soaking
- 6 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 25 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
Tips and suggestions
- You could try swapping the croissants for brioche or pain au chocolat