On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Banana, pecan and maple syrup cake is a deliciously sweet and sticky bake, great for afternoon tea or a birthday cake with a difference
Method1. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 22cm savarin or fluted cake ring.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar with a stand mixer or by hand. Add the bananas and maple syrup, then the eggs and pecan nuts. Fold in the flour by hand. Put the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 minutes.
3. For the topping: Meanwhile, put sugar in a pan over a low heat until it caramelises. Add the maple syrup, double cream and butter and heat until the mixture has combined and is soft, light brown in colour and has the thickness of caramel.
4. When the cake is ready, turn it out and leave to cool. To decorate, brush with the toffee caramel topping and decorate with pecans.
For the cake:
- 200 g butter, softened
- 150 g light soft brown sugar
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 75 ml maple syrup
- 400 g self-raising flour
- 2 handfuls pecans, finely chopped
For the toffee caramel topping:
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 100 ml double cream
- 50 g butter
- 12 pecan halves, to decorate