On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Butternut squash gnocchi is a lot easier to make than you think and great comfort food for the cold winter months
Method1. Place the mashed potato and squash in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg, nutmeg, ¾ of the grated grana padano cheese, flour and a pinch of salt.
2. Mix by hand to form dough and knead for a few minutes. Cut the dough into smaller pieces and roll each piece into a cylinder. Cut each cylinder into 2½cm pieces.
3. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and when they rise to the top, remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and refresh in iced water. Drain, drizzle with olive oil and keep warm.
4. Deep fry the sage leaves in a deep fryer or in a pan with very hot oil.
5. In a a separate pan, sweat the shallots and butter in a pan and then add the gnocchi and sauté.
6. To serve, sprinkle the remaining grana padano on top with a crispy fried sage leaf.
Recipe from the Consortium for the Protection of Grana Padano Cheese.
- 100 g mashed potato
- 100 g mashed butternut squash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch of nutmeg, grated
- 100 g grana padano cheese, or vegetarian Italian hard cheese, grated
- 100 g flour
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 tsp shallots, finely sliced
- 50 g butter
Tips and suggestions
- To make 100g mashed potato, you will need 2 large potatoes. To make 100g mashed squash, you will need 1 small butternut squash.
To make the mash, cut the vegetables into 2.5cm chunks and cook in boiling salted water until soft. Drain and return to the pan with a little milk and a knob of butter then mash until smooth.