On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- makes 24 regular sized cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes with beetroot are moist and indulgently fudgy, reminiscent of a chocolate brownie
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- For added colour and taste, finish the cupcakes with a decorative sprinkle of beetroot powder, available at health food suppliers and online retailers
For the cupcakes
- 250 g good quality dark chocolate
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 250 g dark muscovado sugar
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 250 g cooked beetroot, grated, (not preserved in vinegar)
For the chocolate ganache:
- 300 g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 300 ml double cream
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Chop 150g of the chocolate very finely and break the remaining 100g into small chunks and put to one side.
2. Melt the butter and the very finely chopped chocolate together in a heatproof bowl sat over gently simmering water. Make sure the water beneath does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
3. Whisk the 3 eggs together with the sugar. Add the melted chocolate and butter and mix until smooth. Add the remaining chocolate chunks and mix thoroughly.
4. Sift the flour and salt over the mixture and fold it together. Carefully fold the grated beetroot into the mixture being careful not to over mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into paper cases sat in an appropriate cupcake tray and bake for 15 minutes. Don’t be tempted to over bake the cupcakes, part of their charm is to have a moist fudgy brownie like centre.
6. For the chocolate ganache: Add the chocolate to the double cream and melt in a heatproof bowl sat over gently simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted and the ganache is smooth put to one side to cool. Once cool and beginning to firm up, pipe or spoon the ganache onto the cupcakes.