On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers Come Home - Hairy Bikers Come Home
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
This mulled cider cocktail from blogger Kate Taylor at Cookie and Kate is hot and spicy and perfect for a winter gathering
Method1. In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider, ginger, lemon, cinnamon, star anise and vanilla pod and simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove all of the spices and fruit and set to one side.
2. Pour a 50ml shot of the bourbon in to a glass and then fill up with the hot spiced cider mixture.
3. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, star anise and thinly sliced red apple.
Taken from blogger Kate at Cookie and Kate
Kate is a 20-something American photographer and self-taught cook. She loves creating fresh, vegetarian recipes in her kitchen; her quirky mutt, Cookie, is always ready to catch the crumbs. She is an avid supporter of the occasional indulgence and enjoys nothing more than eating good food in good company.
- 1 litres apple cider
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 cinnamon
- 3 star anise
- 1 vanilla pod, slit down the middle and the seeds scooped out
- 200 ml bourbon whiskey
- 1 red apple, thinly sliced (optional)
Tips and suggestions
- The hot apple cider cocktail is typically known as a wassail, from an old English tradition with pagan roots, that celebrates the autum harvest.