On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Costa Brava
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Provence
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
- Makes about 2 litres
Full of festive flavours, Angela Nilsen’s mildly spiced chutney is perfect for making ahead to give as a homemade Christmas gift
Method1. Put the chopped mangoes, plums, pears, onions, garlic and ginger in a large saucepan. Tip in the caster and muscovado sugars, vinegar, mustard seeds, coriander, cumin, chillies, salt, star anise and cinnamon and give a good stir. Heat slowly for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Raise the heat slightly, then when it is simmering, leave to constantly bubble away (not too fiercely) for 1½-2 hours, stirring every now and then until the chutney has reduced and thickened to a syrupy consistency. Timing can vary according to the juiciness of the fruits. If necessary, raise the heat a bit higher towards the end of cooking so you have a good balance of liquid to fruit, and the mixture is more syrupy than runny. Remove the star anise and cinnamon stick.
3. Pour the chutney into warm, sterilised jars and cover with lids - a heatproof measuring jug is good for this. The chutney will keep for up to a year in a cool, dry place.
- 2 large mango, about 1kg total weight, stoned, peeled, cut in small chunks
- 700 g red plums, stoned, cut in small chunks
- 2 pears, about 450g total weight, cored but not peeled, cut in small chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 300 g golden caster sugar
- 250 g light muscovado sugar
- 400 ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp crushed dried chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Tips and suggestions
- To sterilise the jars, wash and rinse them first, then to dry off, sit them on a baking sheet and place in a low oven for about 20 minutes.