On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Cake with Friends
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
This Christmas berry pudding is rich, dark and spicy but with a lighter taste and texture than the classic, try Angela Nilsen’s version, served with a salted butterscotch sauce
Method1. For the puddings: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and grease 8 x 200ml pudding tins.
2. Mix together the black treacle and milk. Put the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, mixed spice, eggs and treacle and milk mix in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes, or use an electric hand mixer for 1 minute, then gently fold in the blueberries.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the pudding tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and cooked though.
4. For the salted butterscotch sauce: While the puddings are baking, make the sauce by adding the the butter, sugar and cream to a medium saucepan over a low heat.
5. Heat slowly for about 5 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved and the butter melted. Raise the heat to bring to a boil then bubble fairly vigorously for 3-4 minutes without stirring, or until the sauce has thickened and is a rich toffee colour. Let the bubbles subside, then stir in the salt.
6. When the puddings are cooked, remove from the oven, leave in the tins for a few minutes, then carefully loosen around the sides with a small palette knife and turn out onto plates.
7. For the decoration: Serve with a little of the warm sauce poured over and decorate with a few blueberries and holly sprigs. Serve the rest of the sauce separately.
For the puddings
- 100 g black treacle
- 1 tbsp milk
- 175 g butter, room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g muscovado sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 3 large eggs
- 140 g blueberries, larger ones halved
For the salted butterscotch sauce
- 50 g butter
- 140 g light muscovado sugar
- 200 ml double cream
- ½ tsp sea salt, flakes
For the decoration