On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's Affordable Christmas - Jamie's Affordable Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 12 min
- makes 12
To give mince pies a new twist, Angela Nilsen shapes these like Danish pastries using ready-made puff pastry and adds a custardy almond base
Method1. Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. In a small bowl, mix together the custard, ground almonds and almond extract. Set aside.
2. For the star pastries: on a lightly floured surface, roll out and trim half the pastry to a rectangle about 24x19cm. With the shorter side towards you, cut in half lengthways, then in thirds widthways, to give you 6 pieces of pastry.
3. For each star mince pie, make a 4.5cm cut from each corner diagonally towards the centre. Place 1/2 teaspoonful of the almond custard in the centre and put 1/2 teaspoon of the mincemeat on top. Mix 1 tsp cold water with the egg yolk, then brush this mixture over the pastry around the filling.
4. Bring each cut corner into the middle to create a star shape, pressing each corner down where it overlaps and gently pressing them all down in the centre to secure (the handle end of the pastry brush is good for this). Place on the baking sheet. Brush the unglazed pastry with more egg yolk and scatter a few almonds in the centre of each one. Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffy and golden. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
5. For the wrap-over pastries: while the stars are baking, roll out, trim and cut the other pastry half into six as before. For each wrap-over mince pie, put a teaspoonful of the custard down the middle and top with a small teaspoonful of mincemeat. Brush the pastry with egg as before. Bring two opposite pastry corners into the centre to overlap well, brush the tips with egg yolk and press and pinch down to secure. Brush each mince pie with the rest of the egg yolk, scatter with the remaining almonds, then bake as for the stars. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
6. Serve the mince pies warm, dusted with icing sugar.
- 150 g carton of Devon custard
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 375 g block ready-made all butter puff pastry
- 160 g mincemeat
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 g flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
Tips and suggestions
- These are best eaten warm, but can be made a day or two ahead, stored in an airtight tin, then heated through briefly in a hot oven before serving and dusting with icing sugar. They can also be served as a dessert with cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.