On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Bring It On
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Chestnut pie, is a winter warming puff pastry topped pie which makes a great vegetarian main course
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the olive oil to stop it burning and fry the onions until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, bay leaves and rosemary and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the chestnuts, red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the onions are soft.
5. Add the beurre manie, stirring constantly until is dissolves, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
6. Stir in the mustard and flat leaf parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish.
7. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling, crimping the edges to seal the pie. Cut a cross in the top of the pastry to let the steam out during cooking.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
Recipe from www.UKShallot.com
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 200 g cooked chestnuts, such as Merchant Gourmet vacuum packed
- 200 ml red wine
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp beurre manie, 1 tbsp flour mixed to a paste with 1 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- 225 g puff pastry