On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Noodles, Dim Sum and Dumplings
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- Makes 25 cookies
Gingerbread biscuits stuck together with lemony icing - choose whatever shapes take your fancy in this festive recipe
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line 3 large baking trays with baking parchment. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the syrup and egg and carefully combine the wet and dry ingredients together until well mixed. Bring the mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and pliable.
3. Roll out the dough to a thickness no greater than 5mm. Using a 5.5cm diameter round, flower or heart-shaped cutter, stamp out approximately 50 shapes, re-rolling the dough as necessary. Arrange the shapes on the prepared baking trays and prick lightly with a fork.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and firm. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the decoration: place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sieve in the icing sugar, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Add the lemon extract and mix well. Sandwich the cookies together with lemon buttercream and dust with icing sugar before serving.
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 10 ml ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 large egg, beaten