Apple crumble cake
By: From: James Martin's United Cakes of America
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
James Martin bakes an autumnal cinnamon spiked apple cake filled with whipped cream and topped with crumble and a drizzle of fudge
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- When adding the ground cinnamon to the cake mixture, you can also add a touch of nutmeg and clove for a spicier finish if you wish
For the cake
- 250 g butter
- 250 g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 50 g pecans
- 2 apples, cored and diced
For the crumble
- 50 g butter, cold
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g light soft brown sugar
For the fudge topping
- 25 g brown sugar
- 25 g butter
- 25 g maple syrup
- 50 ml double cream
For the filling
- 200 g whipped cream
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180C/150C fan /gas 4. Grease and line a 25cm spring form cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric stand mixer or by hand. Add the cinnamon and the maple syrup to the butter and sugar. Once mixed together, add the eggs, one at a time.
3. Use a spatula to fold in the flour, pecan nuts and half of the diced apples but don't fully mix it together. Put the mixture into the cake tin and use a spatula to smooth over the top.
4. For the crumble: rub the cold butter into the flour and sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the cake mixture, add the rest of the diced apples and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool.
5. For the fudge topping: put brown sugar, butter, maple syrup and cream into a pan and bring to the boil until the bubbles start to come away from the edge of the pan.
6. When the cake is cool, slice it in half horizontally and sandwich the cake together with the whipped cream - you may not need all of it. Put the top on the cake and drizzle over the fudge topping.