On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Potatoes and Veg
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Puddings
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
Submitted by: rickB52336
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Rachel Allen complements the tang of sour cream in this moist cake with a bittersweet marmalade glaze
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, then butter the sides of a 20x6 cm cake tin and line the base with a disc of baking parchment.
2. Cream the butter until soft in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs to the creamed butter mixture, beating all the time.
3. Next beat in the orange zest and sour cream, then sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in to combine. Tip the mixture into the prepared cake tin, then bake for 40–50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
4. While the cake is cooking, make the glaze. Place the orange juice and marmalade in a saucepan. About 5 minutes before the cake has finished cooking, place the pan on the hob and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the marmalade. Then remove from the heat.
5. When the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit in the tin for just 5 minutes. Loosening around the edges using a small, sharp knife, carefully remove the cake from the tin, peeling away the baking parchment, then transfer to a serving plate.
6. Straight away pour the marmalade glaze over the cake (after reheating it if it has had a chance to cool down), then allow the cake to cool down fully while soaking up the syrup.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.