On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Veg - Power
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg - Bring It On
- 22:00 - River Cottage Veg - Grow Your Own
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
- Makes about 24 squares
Rachel Allen’s cinnamony flavoured cake makes a great brunch bite served alongside a good cup of coffee
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 25 x 35cm roasting tin with baking parchment, with the paper coming just above the sides of the tin to enable the cake to be lifted out easily.
2. For the crumb topping: Pour the melted butter into a large bowl or into an electric food mixer. Sift in the flour and cinnamon and add the remaining ingredients, then mix briefly – for just 30-60 seconds if using a food mixer – until coarse and crumbly.
3. For the cake: Cream the butter until soft in a separate large bowl or in the food mixer. Pour in the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and gradually mix in the eggs. Add the sour cream, then (with the mixer on a low speed, if you’re using it) sift in the remaining ingredients, and fold in to combine.
4. Tip the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over the crumb mixture, making sure it covers the batter completely.
5. Bake on the lower shelf in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Check the cake after 30 minutes and if the top is already a rich golden brown, cover the tin with foil to prevent the cake from burning and continue to cook for the remaining time.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin completely. Lift the cake out using the baking parchment, peel away the paper and cut into squares to serve.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
For the crumb topping
For the cake