On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Turkey and Trimmings
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Brunch, Lunch and Breakfast
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 30 minutes cooling time
- Cook time:
- 35 min
- 16 brownies
Rachel Allen steps up the indulgence level with her decadent brownies, with rich chocolate complemented by the tang of swirling cream cheese
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter a 20cm cake tin - if it has a removable base, butter the sides and line the base with a square of baking parchment, otherwise line the base and sides of the tin.
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Stir just until smooth, then remove from the heat and beat in the sugar and a pinch of salt, followed by the eggs.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, add the chocolate chips and stir in. Tip the batter into the prepared tin and spread out using a spatula.
4. In a clean bowl, beat all the ingredients for the cheesecake mixture together until smooth. Dot heaped teaspoonfuls of this mixture across the top of the brownie batter in the tin, then use a skewer or knife to swirl the two mixtures together, right across the tin and up to the edges.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the middle of the cake still wobbles slightly when you gently shake the tin – a skewer inserted into the centre should come out with a little moisture on it.
6. Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely in the tin before carefully removing the cake and cutting into squares to serve.
See more cakes from Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
- 100 g butter, cut into cubes
- 100 g dark chocolate, in drops or broken into pieces
- 125 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 g dark chocolate, in chips or chopped into pieces
For the cheesecake mixture
- 200 g cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar