On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 1 hour prove time
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- Makes 12
Super easy, super tasty, ready-to-dunk doughnuts from Sorted - perfect for feeding a crowd
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Never leave hot oil unattended.
Serve doughnuts warm with a warm chocolate sauce or some strawberry jam for dunking.
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the milk, pinch of sugar and yeast into a bowl and stir. Leave for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Make up 120g of mashed potato by mixing 30g of Smash and 120ml boiling water. Set aside.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan so you have a depth of about 4-5cm to about 170C - when you cook the doughnuts, they need enough oil to float.
4. Measure the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl and combine with the mashed potato and milk mixture, mixing together to form a dough - you may have to add a little more flour or milk at this stage to get a dough that you can roll. Knead for a short while, then cover and leave to prove in a warm place for up to an hour.
5. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thickness of 2cm. Using a cutter, cut out large circles from the dough. Using a smaller cutter, remove the centre ring.
6. Carefully lower the doughnuts into the hot oil, using a fish slice to be safe. Fry for about 90 seconds on each side or until golden.
7. Arrange the caster sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl beside the pan. Once the doughnuts are cooked, lift out of the oil using a fish slice or tongs, allow to drip dry for a few seconds then toss in the sugar mix to coat.
8. Leave the doughnuts to cool slightly, then serve.