On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- 21:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 21:40 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 1 hour prove time
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- Makes 12
Super easy, super tasty, ready-to-dunk doughnuts from the guys at Sorted - perfect for feeding a crowd
Method1. Place the milk, pinch of sugar and yeast into a bowl and stir. Leave for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Make up 120g of mashed potato by mixing 30g of Smash and 120ml boiling water. Set aside.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan so you have a depth of about 4-5cm to about 170C - when you cook the doughnuts, they need enough oil to float.
4. Measure the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl and combine with the mashed potato and milk mixture, mixing together to form a dough - you may have to add a little more flour or milk at this stage to get a dough that you can roll. Knead for a short while, then cover and leave to prove in a warm place for up to an hour.
5. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thickness of 2cm. Using a cutter, cut out large circles from the dough. Using a smaller cutter, remove the centre ring.
6. Carefully lower the doughnuts into the hot oil, using a fish slice to be safe. Fry for about 90 seconds on each side or until golden.
7. Arrange the caster sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl beside the pan. Once the doughnuts are cooked, lift out of the oil using a fish slice or tongs, allow to drip dry for a few seconds then toss in the sugar mix to coat.
8. Leave the doughnuts to cool slightly, then serve.
- 200 ml warm milk
- pinch sugar
- 7 g packet of dried yeast
- oil, for frying
- 120 g Smash potatoes
- 220 g plain flour
- 80 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- caster sugar, to dust
- cinnamon, to dust
Tips and suggestions
- Never leave hot oil unattended.
Serve doughnuts warm with a warm chocolate sauce or some strawberry jam for dunking.