On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Puglia
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 1 hour marinating time
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Billy Law shows how Marmite makes a great glaze in this tasty dish that’s great for sharing with friends
Method1. Put the chicken pieces in a bowl with the teaspoon of light soy sauce, the oyster sauce, beaten egg, cornflour and rice flour. Stir to combine, then place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Pour the vegetable oil into a large saucepan until about half full, then heat the oil to 180C over medium–high heat. Test to see if the oil is hot enough by dipping a wooden chopstick into the hot oil - if the oil starts steadily bubbling around the chopstick, it’s ready.
3. Working in batches, deep-fry the chicken until golden brown. This will take about 10–15 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
4. Combine the Marmite, honey, water, dark soy caramel and extra tablespoon of light soy sauce in a bowl, stirring until the Marmite is dissolved.
5. Heat a wok over medium– high heat, pour in the sauce, then add the pepper and continue to stir until the sauce has thickened and reduced to one-third of its original volume.
6. Return the chicken to the wok, and toss everything together until the chicken pieces are evenly coated in the sauce. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 500 g chicken, such as drumsticks, wings or marylands, cut into bite-sized pieces (or use half a chicken)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce, plus 1 tbsp extra for the sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Marmite
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dark soy caramel
- A handful of sesame seeds, toasted
Tips and suggestions
- Serve with steamed rice as a main course