On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 3
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Philadelphia and New York
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Full of crunchy sweet goodness, Rachel Allen’s easy-peasy snacks make the perfect lunchbox treat
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4, then grease the sides of the Swiss roll tin (23 x 30cm ) with butter and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Place the prepared apples in a food processor and pulse a few times until they’re in small pieces. Add the butter and sugar and cream together for 20 seconds or so, then add all the remaining ingredients and pulse just until mixed.
3. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and place the pecans on top, spaced apart to form an even grid (4 x 3). Bake for 25–30 minutes or until risen and golden, then remove from the oven and leave in the tin
to cool down completely.
4. When cool, cut into 12 bars, each with one pecan on top, and remove from the tin.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
- 2 eating apples, (unpeeled), cored, cut into quarters and roughly chopped
- 150 g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 50 g porridge oats
- 2 eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 50 g pecans, plus 12 to decorate
Tips and suggestions
- These will keep for 4–5 days in an airtight container.