On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Queensland Part I
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Preserving
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Packed full of cinnamon, crunchy walnut and caramel flavourings - Rachel Allen's glazed cake will keep nicely for a week (if you resist gobbling it all at once!)
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3, then grease the sides of a cake tin (25cm diameter x 6cm depth) with sunflower oil and line the base with a disc of baking parchment.
2. Sift the plain flour, cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl, then add the wholemeal flour and sugar and mix together.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sunflower oil, eggs and milk, then tip these into the flour and whisk until you have a smooth batter, and stir in the apples and walnuts. Pour the mixture into the prepared
tin and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
4. About 5 minutes before the cake is due to come out, make the glaze. Put the sugar, butter and 1 tablespoon of water into a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from the heat.
5. When the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit in the tin for 10 minutes. Using a small, sharp knife, loosen around the edges and carefully remove the cake from the tin before transferring to a serving plate.
6. Reheat the glaze and brush all over the cake, then allow to cool before serving. The glaze means this cake will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
- 175 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 175 g wholemeal flour
- 225 g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 3 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 75 g walnuts, roughly chopped For the glaze
- 150 g butter
For the glaze
- 150 g light soft brown sugar
- 75 g butter