On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Sydney Part II
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Finals - MasterChef
- 22:00 - The View from River Cottage - The Wild Harvest
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Madhur Jaffrey recreates the Indian vegetable dish is known as aloo gobi. In Gurbax Kaur's recipe, cumin seeds, fenugreek and dried spices infuse it with authentic flavour
Method1. For the deep frying: Pour the oil into a karhai or wok and set it over a medium-high heat. Wait for it to get very hot.
2. Fry the cauliflower florets in two batches, for about 2 minutes per batch, or until light brown all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Ensure the oil has time to reheat between batches.
3. Now carefully add the potato to the oil, standing back in case of splashes, and fry for 6 minutes, or until golden all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. For the aloo gobi: Set a clean karhai, wok or heavy-based pan about 20cm in diameter over a medium heat. Pour in the oil and when it's hot, add the onion.
5. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the cumin seeds. Stir for 3 minutes, or until the onion is light brown.
6. Spoon in the garlic and ginger. Stir for 2 minutes, adding a splash of hot water if it starts to stick. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, or until completely integrated.
7. Sprinkle in the chillies and 1¼ teaspoons of salt. Stir for 1 minute. Crumble in the fenugreek leaves, and stir for 1 minute. Spoon in the turmeric and mix well.
8. Add another splash of water if necessary, then tip in the cauliflower stalks and leaves and cook for 6 minutes, or until soft.
9. Add a little water if the pan seems to dry out, then add the deep-fried cauliflower florets and potato and the chopped coriander. Mix gently and cook for a final 2 minutes, then serve.
For the deep frying
- 700 ml sunflower oil, to deep fry
- 600 g florets of cauliflower
- 150 g stalk and leaves of cauliflower, chopped
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
For the aloo gobi
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3 hot green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped