On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Amalfi
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Grow Your Own
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
- 4 people as a starter or lunch
This spin on classic tart tatin from Fabulous Baker Brothers Tom and Henry Herbert is simple but impressive
Method1. Put the sugar in a small, heavy frying pan and over a medium heat, stir until it dissolves. Add a pinch of salt, butter and sherry vinegar, and keep stirring. The mixture will turn foamy, but keep stirring on the heat until it has gone a dark brown colour – but don’t let the sugar burn.
2. Add honey and thyme leaves, take off the heat and stir. Place a long sprig of thyme on top of the caramel for decoration.
3. Arrange the beetroot slices in the pan, so that they are fanned out and working in a spiral into the centre. Use all the beetroot, covering any thin parts with extra beetroot bits. Season with salt and pepper.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry so that it will cover the beetroot. Place it on top, tucking the edges down into the pan.
5. Put the pan into preheated oven at 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 3 for about half an hour, or until the pastry is golden.
6. Find a plate that is larger than the frying pan, upturn the plate over the frying pan and holding the two together, flip the lot over. Leave it for 30 seconds for the caramel to mostly fall from the pan onto the plate, then remove the plate.
7. Sprinkle goats’ cheese on top. Serve hot.
This recipe is from Love Beetroot .
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g butter
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 cooked beetroot, peeled and sliced
- flour, for dusting
- 250 g puff pastry
- 125 g goats' cheese
Tips and suggestions
- If you fancy adding an extra touch, drizzle some honey over the top after you add the goats' cheese