On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus cooling time
- Cook time:
- 35 min
- Makes 16 blondies
Use up squishy bananas to bake Rachel Allen’s moreish blondies studded with crunchy nuggets of almond praline
Method1. For the almond praline: Place the caster sugar in a frying pan (preferably non-stick), spreading it over the base of the pan. Scatter over the almonds.
2. Cook on a medium heat until the sugar turns a deep golden caramel. Swirl the pan once the sugar starts caramelising, but do not stir it.
3. Tip out onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and allow to cool and set. Chop or pulse in a food processor until the consistency of very coarse breadcrumbs.
4. For the blondies: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin - if the tin has a removable base, butter the sides and line the base with a square of baking parchment, otherwise line the base and sides of the tin.
5. Place the butter and white chocolate in heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water set over a low heat. When the butter has melted, remove from the heat and stir to melt the chocolate.
6. Pour into a large bowl and beat in the light soft brown sugar, egg, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Stir in the almond praline.
7. Sift in the remaining ingredients and fold in thoroughly to mix. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until just set and golden on top.
8. Either allow to cool completely in the tin or allow to cool in the tin for 5–10 minutes and serve while still warm. Carefully remove the cake from the tin and cut into squares for serving.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
For the almond praline
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g whole almonds, skin on
For the blondies
- 100 g butter
- 225 g white chocolate, drops or broken into pieces
- 175 g light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200 g (about 2) peeled very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Tips and suggestions
- The praline crumbs will keep in a jar for a few weeks - perfect for scattering over ice cream.
Love making brownies? Check out our top 10 brownie recipes