On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus chilling time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Eric Lanlard combines a crunchy biscuit base with a rich and exotic filling, topped off with fluffy vanilla cream
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the crushed digestive biscuits, stirring to coat them well.
3. Press the mixture into a 23cm shallow pie dish, covering the sides too.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove the dish from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
5. Put the banana slices on a sheet of kitchen foil and toss them with the muscovado sugar and spices, coating them all over.
6. Cover with another sheet of kitchen foil, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until mushy. Remove from the oven, but leave the oven turned on.
7. Put the eggs, coconut cream and rum into a bowl and beat well. Stir in the cooked bananas. Pour this mixture into the pie base and bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes, or until wobbly. Leave to cool completely in the dish.
8. Whip the cream, golden icing sugar and vanilla to form nice soft peaks. Pile high on top of the pie and sprinkle generously with the grated chocolate. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe from Eric Lanlard's book: Tart it Up!: Sweet and Savoury Tarts and Pies, Mitchell Beazley, July 2012
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 200 g digestive biscuits, crushed
- 3 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 150 g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 350 ml whipping cream
- 75 g golden icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, or paste
- 40 g dark chocolate, grated
Tips and suggestions
- The best way to crush biscuits is to put them inside a strong plastic food bag and bash them with a rolling pin