On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Raymond Blanc's Christmas Feast - Raymond Blanc's Christmas Feast
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Meatballs are baked with potato and tomato in one of Turkey's best-loved dishes, firinda kofte
Method1. Preheat oven to 190C/170C/gas 5.
2. For the meatballs: Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs except the olive oil and sliced tomatoes together by hand.
3. Roll into 10 golf ball-sized balls, then slightly flatten them, but not so they are burger or patty shaped.
4. In a frying pan, lightly fry the meatballs in a little of the olive oil until just golden. Take them out and drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the potatoes: Fry the potato slices briefly on each side so they aren’t cooked through but reach a golden colour, seasoning with salt and pepper as you cook them.
6. Transfer the potato slices to kitchen paper and wipe the pan out.
7. For the cooking liquor: Pour the tin of tomatoes into a pain and add chicken stock, chilli powder and lots of black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
8. Layer the bottom of a baking dish with potatoes and arrange the meatballs on top. Scatter around the sliced onions and pepper pieces. Sprinkle everything lightly with chilli flakes and dried oregano.
9. Pour the cooking liquor carefully into the dish so that it comes roughly halfway up the meat. Finish by putting a slice of tomato on top of each meatball.
11. Bake for 45 minutes. Add chopped parsley and serve with yogurt.
For the meatballs
- 320 g minced lamb
- 30 g dried breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, grated and squeezed
- 1 tsp Turkish chillies, flakes
- small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- handful mint, chopped
- olive oil, for frying
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, sliced
For the potato dish
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, cut into 2cm slices
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 long Turkish green peppers, cut into 5cm strips
- sprinkling of dried red chilli flakes
- sprinkling of dried oregano
For the cooking liquor
- 1 tins chopped plum tomatoes
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 1 pinch chilli powder