On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - San Jose
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Denver
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 10
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Chicken strips are mixed into a spicy herb salad for this Vietnamese chicken salad recipe by Uyen Luu
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Daikon is a long white crunchy vegetable from the radish family, similar in appearance to fresh horseradish but with a lighter, peppery taste - find it at a good greengrocer.
For the chicken
- 3 chicken thighs, skinned and weighing 460g
- 1 litres water
- 1 chicken stock cube
For the pickled onion
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
For the salad
- 250 g carrots, julienned
- 200 g daikon radish, julienned
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 20 g coriander, coarsely chopped
- 15 g mint, coarsely chopped
- 15 g Vietnamese mint, coarsely chopped
- 70 g banana blossom, ready shredded (optional)
For the dressing
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Put the chicken thighs in a pot with a lid with 1 litre of fresh cold water and bring to the boil. After about seven minutes, remove the scum that surfaces, then add a stock cube and leave it to cook for 30 minutes.
2. For the pickled onion: Place the red onion in a bowl with vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper, mixing occasionally.
3. For the salad: Place the carrots and daikon in a salad bowl. Mix in cider vinegar and sugar. Put the herbs together in a separate bowl.
4. For the dressing: Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together in a separate bowl.
5. When the chicken is cooked, leave to rest for 5-10 minutes. De-bone the meat and tear along the grain into strips. Add the chicken strips to the carrot and daikon mixture. Drain off the pickled onion and add it to the bowl. Add the dressing and the chopped herbs. Mix well together.
6. Garnish with a few sprigs of coriander and mints and a sprinkle of peanuts. Serve with prawn crackers.