On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 2 hours sitting time
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- 1 loaf
This is a fantastic picnic loaf, like a modern-day pasty with flavours of the continent
Method1. Drain the peppers and reserve the oil. Pour 2 tablespoons of the oil and half of the basil leaves into a pestle and mortar and pound until lightly crushed and bruised. Leave for 30 minutes to infuse while you make the dough.
2. Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre to make the dough.
3. Strain the basil-infused oil into the flour, then slowly add 200ml of the water and mix until you have a soft dough.
4. Knead either by hand for 10 minutes or in a free-standing mixer fitted with a dough hook for 6 minutes. Once the dough is smooth and elastic, place in a large, oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for 1 minute to knock back and then roll into a 40 x 20cm rectangle.
6. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then scatter the remaining basil leaves, roasted peppers and sun-dried tomatoes on top. Tear the mozzarella into pieces and scatter evenly over the dough.
7. Fold the shorter ends of the rectangle over and roll the dough into a tight Swiss roll spiral. Carefully transfer the roll to the tray with the seam on the underside. Cover with oiled cling film and leave
to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
8. Brush the loaf with the oil and push the rosemary sprigs into the top. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown, turning the temperature down to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 after 10 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and let it cool then cut it into thick slices to serve.
Jo Wheatley's recipe book is available exclusively from Sainsbury’s. Buy A Passion For Baking for just £8.