On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie At Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Bites - Nigella's Christmas Bites
- 22:00 - Tudor Feast At Christmas - Tudor Feast At Christmas
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Spiced chicken in a traditional Middle Eastern salad makes for a light summer salad, perfect for picnics or a meal in itself
Method1. For the chicken: Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds by dry frying them for a few minutes until they begin to brown and give off their aroma. Grind the spices to a powder with a pestle and mortar.
2. Place the chicken and chilli in a bowl with the spices and lemon juice.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the spiced chicken mix for 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Strain off the excess juice and transfer then chicken into a clean bowl to cool.
4. For the salad: Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and pour over boiling water until it is just covered. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave for 15 minutes. Then drain the bulgar wheat and squeeze out any additional water if necessary.
5. Chop the parsley, mint, red onion, tomato and cucumber.
6. Mix the chopped herbs, red onion, tomato and cucumber with the bulgar wheat, juice from the other half of the lemon and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
7. Add the feta and lightly toss the salad.
8. Spoon the tabbouleh mix into bowls and add the cooled spiced chicken mix to the centre.
For the chicken
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 50 g fine or medium bulgar wheat
- handful flat leaf parsley, washed, dried and finely chopped
- bunch mint, about half the quantity of parsley, washed, dried and finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 ripe tomato, finely diced
- 1/2 baby cucumber, finely diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g feta cheese, diced
Tips and suggestions
- Want to improve your knife skills? Watch our video on how to chop fresh herbs