On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 1
Submitted by: AlisonB75357
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Dive in and make this novelty swimming pool cake complete with diving board to delight all the family
Method1. Grease a 9 inch diameter flan case with a removable bottom and the outside of a 4 inch diameter soufflé dish. Place the soufflé dish in the centre of the flan case.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until thoroughly melted, then stir in the rice krispies.
3. Remove the marshmallow krispie mix from the heat and working fast, empty it into the flan case, packing it evenly in and around the soufflé dish – a combination of greased palette knife and fingers works wonders for this, but otherwise a regular table knife will work fine.
4. To make the diving board, take one of the pink wafer biscuits and cut using a sharp knife to make a square. Melt the chocolate in the microwave by giving it 10 second blasts. Dip your wafer biscuit square into the melted chocolate and position it on top of the second pink wafer biscuit at one end so the edge of the square sits flush with one end of the whole wafer biscuit. Allow about 10 minutes for the chocolate to set the square in place.
5. Add blue food colouring to the whipping cream to the desired shade of blue and whip the cream until soft peaks emerge.
6. Remove the marshmallow krispie mix from the flan case by pushing through flan case’s removable bottom. If necessary, use a palette knife or equivalent to tease the krispie disc from the removable base and carefully slide out the soufflé dish from the centre. Turn the krispie disc over and place it smooth side up on a large, flat serving plate.
7. Carefully spoon the blue whipped cream into the hole in the centre of the krispie disc.
8. To secure your wafer biscuit diving board in place, cut a cocktail stick in half and push it through the diving board so the sharp end sticks out of the bottom and the blunt end is pushed all the way in. Spoon a little melted chocolate onto the bottom of the diving board where the cocktail stick emerges and carefully push it down into position on the krispie poolside.
9. Place your jelly baby diver and spectators, securing them in place with cocktail sticks.
- 25 g butter, plus more for greasing
- 150 g marshmallows
- 90 g rice krispies
- 2 pink wafers
- 10 g chocolate
- 300 ml whipping cream
- few drops blue food colouring
- jelly babies, to decorate
Tips and suggestions
- You may want to use a small weight to keep the wafer biscuit diving board in place while the chocolate sets. After about 10 minutes, the diving board should be secured in place.
For more sports-inspired cakes and biscuits see our sports recipe gallery