On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Beer and Cider
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Bejeweled
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Low fat and filling, Allegra McEvedy’s Turkish rice-filled soup makes a satisfying lunch
Method1. Marinade the diced chicken in the lemon juice, chopped garlic, extra virgin olive oil and pepper at room temperature.
2. Pour the stock into a medium-sized pan and bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, egg yolk and yogurt before slowly pouring in the heated stock a little at a time, whisking constantly.
3. Tip back into the saucepan and bring back to a simmer on a low heat. Add the rice and marinated chicken and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through then turn off the heat.
4. Melt the butter in a wide frying pan and sauté the onion and minced garlic for a few minutes. Add the paprika and cayenne and stir for a minute. Add the mint and a squeeze of lemon and immediately turn off the heat. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
5. Dish out the soup, spooning some of the butter mixture on each bowl. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
- 300 g chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 lemons, juice only
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped, 1 minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 250 g strained yogurt, or Greek yogurt
- 150 g basmati rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- handful mint, finely chopped
- lemon wedges, for squeezing and serving