Chicken, yogurt and mint soup
By: From: Turkish Delights with Allegra McEvedy
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 1
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 5
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Family Favourites
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Low fat and filling, Allegra McEvedy’s Turkish rice-filled soup makes a satisfying lunch
- 300 g chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped, 1 minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 250 g strained yogurt, or Greek yogurt
- 150 g basmati rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- handful mint, finely chopped
- lemon wedges, for squeezing and serving
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Marinade the diced chicken in the lemon juice, chopped garlic, extra virgin olive oil and pepper at room temperature.
2. Pour the stock into a medium-sized pan and bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, egg yolk and yogurt before slowly pouring in the heated stock a little at a time, whisking constantly.
3. Tip back into the saucepan and bring back to a simmer on a low heat. Add the rice and marinated chicken and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through then turn off the heat.
4. Melt the butter in a wide frying pan and sauté the onion and minced garlic for a few minutes. Add the paprika and cayenne and stir for a minute. Add the mint and a squeeze of lemon and immediately turn off the heat. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
5. Dish out the soup, spooning some of the butter mixture on each bowl. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.