Lamb shish and shepherd's salad
By: From: Turkish Delights with Allegra McEvedy
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus overnight marinating
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Allegra McEvedy's authentic Turkish kebab is accompanied with a herby feta and tomato salad
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- You can barbecue or grill the skewers instead of using a griddle pan - you can always tell when they're ready to be turned because they don't stick
For the kebabs
For the salad
- 6 good quality ripe tomatoes, quartered, seeded and diced finely
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 long pale green Turkish pepper, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, finely diced, seeds removed or not depending on preference
- 1/2 cucumber, seeds scraped out, finely diced
- handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- handful mint, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced with salt
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g feta cheese, diced
- few leaves fresh oregano
- warm grilled flatbread
- pickled chillies
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Mix together the garlic, cumin and lamb, then leave to marinate at room temperature for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge.
2. Half an hour before you plan to eat, thread the lamb onto skewers and put a griddle pan on a high heat until smoking hot.
3. In a big mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, peppers, chilli, cucumber, herbs and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, squeeze over the lemon juice, drizzle over the oil and crumble over the feta. Sprinkle with oregano leaves.
4. Once the griddle is smoking hot, lay the kebabs on it. Turn once after 5-7 minutes.
5. After a further 5 minutes, remove the lamb from the heat and leave to rest for a couple of minutes over a bowl.
6. Serve the kebabs with warm flatbread, pickled chillies and salad.