By: From: Turkish Delights with Allegra McEvedy
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Allegra McEvedy’s delicious traditional hummus recipe is perfect with warmed pitta and olives
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- couple pinches ground cumin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- pickles and olive
- pitta bread
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Tip the chickpeas and the water they are in into a pan and heat until they are warmed through but not simmering.
2. Lift the chickpeas out with a slotted spoon and whizz in a food processor with the garlic and tahini and as much of the warm chickpea water as necessary to ensure that you get a puree.
3. Add a tablespoon of extra virgin oil, then transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in the cumin, salt and some lemon juice.
4. Leave until cooled, which will give it time to firm up a bit.
5. Taste and season, then spoon into a serving bowl and use the back of the spoon to make a well. Pour some extra virgin olive oil into the well, sprinkle the rim with cayenne and serve with warm bread, lemon wedges, olives and pickled chillies.