On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Amalfi
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Pies
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Luau
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 6 hours or overnight refridgeration time
- Cook time:
- 10 min
This summer pudding is given a dash or two of elderflower cordial to give it a summery, floral note
Method1. Wash and sort the fruit to remove any unripe or mouldy fruit.
2. Gently heat a saucepan to a low to medium heat and add all the fruit except strawberries, if being used, with the sugar and cordial. Simmer on a low heat for a couple of minutes or until the fruit has softened and the juice has run.
3. Leave the fruit to cool and soak in the elderflower cordial fruit juice. If using strawberries add them to soak with the rest of the fruit now.
4. Slice the bread about as thin as your little finger and cut off the crusts.
5. Take a 1 litre pyrex bowl or pudding basin and cut a piece of bread to fit the base of the bowl. Dip one side of this disc of bread into the fruit juice and place juice side down in the base of the bowel.
6. Now dip four whole slices in the fruit juice and place them evenly on each side the side of the bowl, spacing them to leave triangular spaces between the bread.
7. take more of the bread and cut triangles that are slightly larger than the gaps between the slices so the pieces overlap a little. Push the bread together then fill any remaining holes by patching with more pieces of bread.
8. Spoon the fruit mix into the bread-lined bowl and use the remaining bread to cover the entire space of the pudding in the top of the bowl.
9. Place the bowl on a plate so any overspill will be caught and place a saucer inside the bowl with something heavy enough to push it down to compress the pudding.
10. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or, if possible, overnight.
11. To serve, use a palette knife to tease out the pudding at the sides and turn out on a serving plate then serve with cream.
- 850 g mixed summer fruit, with a lot of raspberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 8 slices good quality white bread, preferably 1-2 days old
Tips and suggestions
- Rather than using store bought elderflower cordial this recipe really comes alive if you make your own. See Sophie Grigson’s Elderflower cordial recipe to discover how.