On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- 10 slices
This quick mix sponge cake from Angela Nilsen is an ideal special summer tea time treat or birthday cake with candles on top
Method1. For the cake: preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Butter and line the bases of 2 x 18cm round sandwich cake tins.
2. Mix the coffee and milk together and put into a large mixing bowl with all the other ingredients for making the cake. Beat together with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes - or with an electric mixer for 1 minute. The mixture should look glossy and pale in colour.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 tins, then bake for about 25 minutes, or until it rises and starts to come away from the sides of each tin. Remove from the oven and let sit for a couple of minutes. Turn the cakes out, peel off the lining paper and leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the butter icing: Sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl, then tip in the butter and milk. Beat together, preferably with an electric mixer, until smooth.
5. Divide the icing in half. Keep one half plain and sift cocoa powder into the other half and beat together.
6. When the cakes have cooled, spread the top of one with the white icing and put the other cake onto the iced top to sandwich them together.
7. Spread the chocolate icing over the top, right to the edges, then smooth it over.
8. Arrange alternate milk and white chocolate buttons all round the top edge, pressing them lightly into the chocolate icing. Scatter more chocolate buttons over the top to decorate.
For the cake
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1 tsp coffee granules
- 1 tsp milk
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 75 g light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
For the butter icing and decoration
- 250 g icing sugar
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- white and milk chocolate buttons
Tips and suggestions
- Change the look of the cake by scattering different chocolate-based sweets over, such as smarties for children or decorate with grated chocolate or chocolate curls for adults. You could also change the flavour of the icing to coffee and chocolate to make it even more grown-up